
I've decided to start a new series of posts ("a column if you will," as Kyle so eloquently stated) titled 'Reminiscing Thought'.
There are a good handful of memories stored in my crazy mind that just never seemed to make it to the pages of my journal. Whether it was forgetfulness or just plain laziness who knows? Anyway, I decided that before these lil' treasures are pushed out to make room for new ones, I should record them one way or another.
With that said, I introduce...The Chocolate Man:
Kyle was about 4 years old when he was visiting his Uncle Thornie at a hospital in Burbank, CA with his familia. Kyle and his Grammy walked on over to the cafeteria when he encountered (what Kyle remembers to be) the very first Black man he had ever seen. Looking up at his grandma, lil' Kyle said, "Grammy he's the luckiest man in the world 'cuz he's made out of chocolate". His grandmother was terrified. Worried that the toddler had offended the stranger, Grammy apologized over and over to the man who kindly responded, "That is probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me; and trust me, I've been called a lot of things in my life".
How cute is that?
p.s. I liked the overall concept of the story and thought that it might be cute if we were to tell our babies that Black people were made out of chocolate.
Kyle didn't lie the idea so much. Apparently it sounded racist. I didn't think so...right?
2 comments:
why'd you have to go and put that chocolate picture up like that on a fast sunday?
that story is way cute though..:)
Oh My Goodness! We used to tell my adopted african american cousin Jasmin that she was chocolate and that we were vanilla and that both were wonderful:) I think its a great thing:)
Post a Comment