Tuesday, October 11, 2011

separation anxiety

This past Monday I spent my first night away from the munchkin.
 Kyle was so graciously given tickets to...

THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH

I originally had work off, but ended up signing up for hours since Kyle would be working a half day. The  second I walked out the door, I  thought, "What am I doing? I should have spent the morning with Calvin; I'm going to be gone all day."

Work came and went. I raced home to enjoy the last few hours I'd have with my baby before I had to leave. I literally ran from work to car, and car to house. I walked in and...

He.was.asleep.

No big deal, we weren't leaving for at least 1 hour; he'd definitely wake up before I left. Almost 2 hours later, I was stepping out the door with a baby who was out. He hadn't even budged. Kyle was pumped and ready to be reunited with Mickey after 5 long years. I took 10 steps from the house and...

I.lost it.

Tears just came as I contemplated how horrible of a mother I was. My sweet Kyle attempted to console me and once we were on our way, I was distracted well enough to keep my composure. Disneyland was memorably fantastic; mainly because of the company, but of course I was swarmed with beautiful babies in adorable costumes all over the park. I admitted to myself that I had been selfish in not bringing Cal; I wanted to be able to go on all the rides and knew I wouldn't have been able to had I brought him along. 

I got my fix; Mattehorn, Space/Splash Mountain, the new & improved Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, etc. So I swore I'd never return to Disneyland without my little Calvin. I came to a point in the evening when I was ready to return home to my baby & hold him close again. We finally got home and I came in to find...

an.empty.freaken.crib.

My family, who babysat Cal while we were out, decided it better to have him sleep at their house rather than drive him back home late at night and interrupt his precious sleep. Grandparents...ayayay. As expected, the floodgates opened and I was, once again, a hot mess. I spent the   night holding his baby blanket as Kyle reminded me that the sooner I went to sleep the sooner I'd get to see him. Tomorrow came and an early work-shift delayed my joyful reunion. My break arrived and I raced to my parents house to finally be able to hold my baby in my arms, but of course, he was asleep when I got there.

I couldn't catch a break.

The mother in me just couldn't wake him up; so instead I let my little chubbs dream and waited for any noise to come from the bedroom. An eternity later, he arose! I could barely contain my excitement as I opened the door and experienced the moment that made my world whole again. I walked in and the second he saw my face, he got the biggest smile on his face and crawled to me so fast.

He had forgiven me. Just like that.

This time my tears were ones of happiness. We were long-lost besties finally reunited.











On a less sentimental note, here is the only picture I took the entire night; AND it's a picture of a picture-hah! A little blurry but I think our faces are apparent enough. Poor Kyle got soaked, I was terrified, and our guests of honor just soaked in all the fun.

2 comments:

Taryn & Brian Elmer said...

Totally almost made me cry reading how hard it was to be away from your bubba!! I had that similar feeling London for 5 months! Although he isn't my child, the bond and the love are so strong that it makes it so hard to leave, in your case for even one night! Im glad you and Kyle got a night away!! PS I would love to see you and that cute baby!!

Unknown said...

Paola you are so cute! I love this.