Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Joys of Motherhood


The 'greats' and 'not-so-greats' of being a mama thus far:

1. Locking my cell phone, car keys, and oh yeah, my 2-week old son in the car in the middle of a parking lot on mine and his VERY FIRST day out of the house. Oh, and then having the paramedics and firefighters show up to get him out. I was more traumatized than sweet Calvin was; he just kinda hung out looking out the window while mama was in a horrified state of pure panic; I am now learning to have a sense of humor about it (inquire within for details).

2. As I was lying on my back one afternoon, Kyle came up to my (not very cute) belly, kissed it, and said, "that's for the next one". However perfectly content I am with just one right now, I love that he's excited for more mini Jellings to be running around.

3. Having Calvin scream his little head off (no idea why) during the entirety of our very first Family Home Evening as a bigger family. After getting him to knock out-about 1 hour later-Kyle came up to me, kissed me on the forehead and said, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." I couldn't help but smile. =)

4. After watching a video in which I refer to the baby as "chiquito" more than once, our sweet little niece Karley started to refer to Calvin as "chiquito"; apparently her friends now think that's his name.

5. Telling myself, "it's sterile", after Calvin has surprise-attack peed on me, so that I don't have to change clothes for the um-teenth time.

6. The way he curls up and fits perfectly on my chest, between my arms.

7. How Everyone immediately knows that he is his father's son; a mini Kyle look-a-like.

8. Being surrounded by so many good good people who love me and Kyle, our son, and will always be there without question has awakened within me a new depth of gratitude. Thank you to all of you; how I hope you know how much you are appreciated.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is the loveliest thing i've ever read.

Ashley Archibald said...

oh i love his cute face!! that video you emailed us is so adorable! i love his little noises and movements :) and he was wearing his RSL onsie! haha too funny, you are such a kind mother for making him wear that haha! we miss you guys! come to st. george so our babies can play :)

Brittany Calkins said...

He is soooo cute! Someone once told me babies are supposed to look like their Dad's so theirs no question who the father is... They are always just trying to make me feel better that Ava looks nothing like me, sometimes people ask me "is she yours?" Yes she is mine.. But I love that they look like their papa's!