Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Calvin Lyle Jellings

During my last trimester, a very good friend of mine gave me some of the best advice I could receive before having a baby:

"When he comes, don't be in too much of a rush to share it or to be the perfect mom. Find little moments alone with him to smell his hair, whisper secrets, and touch his skin. You'll love it."

So for the past 5 weeks, I have done exactly that.

But alas, I know how much the little guy is loved. So here he is, mi chiquito gordito, through the ages (of the last 5 weeks).

The first Official family portrait:


Daddy's little guy:


In the nursery at the hospital:


"first whole day as a little person"


Outfit for his church debut:


Perfect timing:

I will have to wait for another post to talk about the actual delivery, but I must say that the myriad of emotions I have felft in the past month have ranged from divine highs of love, joy, and happiness to profound lows of insecurities, inadequacies, and frustrations.

And yet, at the end of day, throughout it all, I could not be more grateful to my Heavenly Father. In my most difficult moments, I think of the amazing women I have met in my life whose only desire in their life is to be a mother. When I find myself frustrated or complaining, I think of the fact that those same women would love to be in the physical pain I'm in or have endless nights deprived of sleep...because it finally meant that they were mothers.

I am imperfect; and having a child has definitely reinforced that notion. But the best part is...he continues to love me (in his own little way) unconditionally; he doesn't care that I have bad breath when I whisper secrets to him at 3 o'clock in the morning. He'll still want me to hold him when I smell like urine, spit-up, or poop (or all 3). He 'smiles' at me when I need it the most-almost as if he knew. He has the patience of his father, and even better, looks just like him.

So many emotions in such a small amount of time. What a life this will be. I couldn't be more excited =).

15 comments:

emily said...

So glad to finally "meet" him! He's beautiful!

Brittany Calkins said...

He is soooo cute!

All Handleys on Deck! said...

I was beginning to think you'd faked your pregnancy!! I've been waiting forever to see pictures of your little guy!! So precious!! I LOVE the picture of the two of you sleeping!

Unknown said...

COngrats! SO glad you FINALLY posted! I look forward to your posts! Dont be a stranger to me anymore!!!

Christa said...

Oh I just love it! He is such a cutie. Congratulations you guys!

Cathy said...

Oh man, those first two months were killer for me. I don't do well on a lack of sleep and he had reflux so it was BAD until he got on meds. And it's a hard adjustment going from freedom to 100% dependence from a helpless little person. I remember in a real low point crying to Kris and saying, "Can't we just send him back?" Isn't that terrible? But then at the same time, loving him so much I just looked at his face and cried. What a rollercoaster of emotions. The best part is that it just keeps getting better and better. And just when you think you couldn't possibly love them any more, you just keep loving them more and you learn a little about God's infinite love.

He is ADORABLE. Congrats, my dear. I'm SO happy for you.

Jennifer Ricks said...

You guys are the most beautiful family!

Unknown said...

Paola I love love love this post. Congratulations! Good luck settling in to mommy-hood. We miss you guys!

Taryn & Brian Elmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Dahlquist said...

Thank you for sharing Calvin with us. He could not be more handsome. Congratulations!

Topsy and Havoc said...

paola...he is just so perfect. and i can't tell you how many times i have looked at that picture of you two sleeping. he was dreaming about meeting his new friend laura no doubt

Cathy said...

Hahaha, I just read my post and realized it sounded a little negative. Not sure I got across what I was trying to :) Just to say, it's normal to have highs and lows. Lots of crazy hormones going on right now, and a huge life change. The most wonderful thing though, is that the love and the joy is deeper than ever as a mother. Tofer is the true light and joy of my life. And don't stress, we do the best we can and Heavenly Father makes up for the rest :)

Tedi @ Running with Infertility said...

Congrat! I am so happy for you guys! It's so great to see a little one come into this world! I absolutely LOVE his little outfit for church!

Doug said...

Congrats! He looks like suck a cool little guy!

Sondra said...

Congratulations, Paola and Kyle! You have a very cute little one on your hands! Fun times ahead.